Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Book Review: One night of Scandal


ONE NIGHT OF SCANDAL
TERESA MEDEIROS

Bookshelves: Romance, Historical, Mystery
Rate O Meter: ♥♥♥


What the Blurb said
Proper decorum has never come easily to Carlotta Anne Fairleigh --- not even tonight, when the lovely, impetuous miss is finally making her debut. As she waits to make her entrance, she can't help wondering about the darkened house next door, the supposedly abandoned home of Hayden St. Clair, the man society has dubbed the "Murderous Marquess." Certainly one small peek through his window before the festivities would be harmless ...

And, naturally, this latest "adventure" ends in disaster, thoroughly compromising the budding debutante's reputation and leaving her suddenly, unthinkably ... betrothed! Soon she's en route to the wilds of Cornwall in the company of the handsome, mysterious marquess whose name the ton whisper with fear and loathing.

Yet there is something thrilling --- and surprisingly tender --- about her dark, unreachable groom, and the desire in his eyes is undeniable. But before Lottie will surrender to the yearnings in her heart, she must unlock the secrets of Hayden's past, no matter how scandalous --- or perilous --- they may be.

What I say

This book had it's high and low moments but I thought the plot was a little haphazard. Too much thrown in. The paranormal references were totally unnecessary and irrelevant in my opinion. It just didn't sit well with the overall plot, and seemed like a bad imitation of Jane Eyre where the mistress is kept hidden and it's such a big mystery. It just seemed out of place. I liked Lottie better in the first book. I guess I wanted a bit more rebellion and wildness from her other than just her annoying screaming. Despite being the hellion that she was while a child, she grew up fairly well, a simple stern miss very much capable of dealing with all kinds of situation. That's not novel at all, is it now?

I definitely liked Laura and Sterling's story a lot more, with plenty of good humour it made me smile plenty of times despite the overused story line. This book had me smiling too, specially whenever there was a tea party going on. I guess I would have liked plenty more of scenes where Hayden bonded with his daughter.

Hayden was hardly convincing as a murderer. He didn't even seem suspicious at all, more like morose and forlorn. Initially I thought Lottie would have a lot more to handle being married to MM but I guess not. So in the end it was just a lot of smoke and not much to it.

It was a good to read about Laura&Sterling, and Diana&Thane once again. It was a light and fun read though, perfect for the type of easy reading [the only kind I can manage] at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment