Sunday, 4 March 2012

My Verdict: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ 1/2


Dragon's Teeth
Suzanne Van Rooyen

Bookshelves: Dystopia, Sci-fi, Contemporary 

Synopsis
You can never outrun your past...After years of war ravage the globe and decimate humanity, civilization is revitalized in the city of New Arcadia, a cybernetic playground where longevity treatments promise near immortality.Detective Cyrus, fond of fedoras and narcotics, is hired by Benji MacDowell, heir-apparent to an eugenics empire, to find MacDowell's long-lost biological father. Employing his network of shady contacts within the underbelly of the city, Cyrus uncovers a murderous web of corporate corruption and political conspiracy with ties to the old Order, a tyrannical organization whose sole intent was perfecting the next generation of genetically engineered soldiers.

Now Cyrus knows too much and finds himself caught in the cross-hairs of super-soldier assassins while the dark secrets of his past snap at his heels, forcing him to confront the truth he's been running from... and discover his own terrifying purpose.

Review
Dragon’s teeth gave me the goose bumps.

I loved reading it!

It made me uncomfortable, but kept me enthralled, I don’t think I’ve enjoyed reading the dystopian genre so much since 1984 and Brave New world.

Suzanne Van Rooyen has a wonderful style of storytelling, she keeps it clear, simple, to the point yet manages to add in enough details to bring to mind a vivid image. I enjoyed the futuristic journey part I took me on, the new age lifestyle and the mysterious detective Cyrus. He is not your average new Era guy, he seems like the kind who like living in the past. One thing is clear - Cyrus is a complex character and he is a lot more capable of emotions and attachment than his jaded counterparts.

Part II took me to a gritty, hair prickling journey of its own. We’re taken to the time where it all begin and as Cyrus tries to uncover the true gene of his client Benji MacDowell, things seem to be a lot more clear. The modified soldiers and the order they served – part II focuses on a pair of twin soldiers, Zia and Nur that seem to be different than the rest. They’re gifted with telepathic powers and human emotion. Here is the beginning of the revolt that busted the Order long ago. Here, we learn about this new fangled religion and genetic control and the possible father of Benji MacDowell.

She had me guessing till the end and the major plot twist in Part III! I did not see that coming.  Zia was my favourite character and I felt his misery, his torment and his loneliness. I couldn’t help but feel sad the way things ended. Dragon’s Teeth is the kind of book that leaves you wondering, long after I finished the last page, I thought what if things hadn’t been this way. Would Zia and Senya be happy? Would they have survived the new Era?

I look forward to reading more from this author.

2 comments:

  1. Sci-fi, ah! I personally avoid this genre all together. Don't understand much xD

    lol. But I see you enjoyed reading it. I'd probably get all uncomfortable like always x.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this was good. It was interesting, and captivating. I don't read a lot of sci-fi either but when I do, I usually like it :)

      Delete