Thursday, 27 October 2011

My Verdict ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥


Shadow Kiss {Vampire Academy #3] By Richelle Mead
Bookshelves: Heroes I love, Favorites, Vampires, Young Adult


Synopsis
Is Rose's fate to kill the person she loves most? It's springtime at St. Vladimir's Academy, and Rose Hathaway is this close to graduation. Since Mason's death, Rose hasn't been feeling quite right. She has dark flashbacks in the middle of practice, can't concentrate in class, and has terrifying dreams about Lissa. But Rose has an even bigger secret .... She's in love with Dimitri. And this time, it's way more than a crush. Then Strigoi target the academy in the deadliest attack in Moroi history, and Dimitri is taken. Rose must protect Lissa at all costs, but keeping her best friend safe could mean losing Dimitri forever...

My Verdict
I was still coming to grips with Mason's death from the previous book and this one had me reflecting on all the characters. Tragedy has surely made them age a great deal. The whole book has a somber note to it. We see Rose dealing with a fresh problem. She keeps seeing mason at the most unexpected time. Is it her imagination? Or is she suffering from post traumatic stress? The doctors at the infirmary surely thinks so. But what does Rose think? Is she going crazy? 

All our regular characters return for this book with Eddie leaping into the limelight as well. I never gave much thought to Eddie before but I certainly liked him a lot in this book. He was responsible and such a great guy. The joys of having Adrian around! Too bad Rose finds him such a nuisance, I always thought his dreams were nice too. 

Christian is impressive, specially with his pyro kinetic skills. I quite liked his super melting action in book 2 and we got some major kick ass action from him later on in the book. 

Rose learns to build up her self control in this one, specially her ability to just flay someone alive at the spur of the moment. We're taken outside the academy as well to the Royal courts where there is an interesting encounter with a gypsy or fortune teller. She tells Dimitri he's lose the thing he values most. How nice, I could already feel the knots in my stomach. This can't be good. I guess despite my fondness for Adrian, I wanted Rose to be with Dimitri - they both seemed right for each other. I think Adrian deserves someone even better than Rose! 

But things arne't looking hot for any kind of couple at the moment. Anyways, back to the academy, Rose keeps on dealing with the ghost of Mason she keeps seeing. There is a special connection between her and the underworld as we find it, since she's been shadow kissed. 

And finally! we get some sweet moments when Rose and Dimitri finally get together. Waited long enough! Ah, but all good things are short lived and this was probably by far the shortest. The poor couple doesn't even get to spend a day as a couple when the strigoi attack their school. Fresh horror! The gypsy's words loom in my head and it wasn't a happy feeling. 

Rose and Christian are like an invincible strigoi slayer team. These two were kicking ass right and left, top and bottom! I was holding my breath the whole time, thinking someone will die...just about now. Whew! It never came, what a relief! Or was it? 

We find the Strigoi have taken some of the students and guardians along, as free snacks for later. Rose, of course doesn't want to give up, because Eddie [Yes! the wonderful gem of a person] has been taken away too! My mood is surely bad at this point. Luckily for us, Rose gets help from Mason and she finds out the hiding spot. 

>>>Spoiler Alert<<< 
A team of guardians descend on the strigoi to kick their pale asses. They manage to rescue most of the moroi and dhampir but something goes horribly wrong and Dimitri gets attacked AND left behind! My heart just fell down a 30 story building it seems. In this moment, I come to like Rose like I've never before. She's vulnerable, something I've never seen before, she's broken...but she's not ready to give up. She wants to go back to get Dimitri. We see Lisa and Rose in the church and I've never hated Lisa as much as I did back then. How can she be so blind and self centered? To not know her best friend was crazy about Dimitri all along? and how can she, ever the most compassionate as to not even let a Raven die without giving a try, give up on such a wonderful person as Dimitri? 

It's beyond me, really beyond me. I was enraged! Enough so to shake my fist at something or someone but since that wasn't possible, I just decided to glare at the book I held. 

I was angry, and upset. Of course, there was a 0.00001% chance that Dimitri might still be alive and a Dhampir but I clung on to that. Give me a straw, stick, anything. I so wanted him to be alright. The search party eventually brings news. Dimitri's body couldn't be found. What could this mean? I was afraid I knew the answer already. 

It's confirmed later on as Rose asks Mason. His nodding and shaking really killed me but the woes! Thankfully, Rose's interaction with Adrian restored some of my spirit and I realized not all was lost. This book ended at such a sad and bitter note. But I loved it none the less since it made me so emotional. 

No comments:

Post a Comment