Wednesday, 26 October 2011

Book Review: Always The Bridesmaid



Always the Bridesmaid by Whitney Lyles
Bookshelves: Chick Lit, Contemporary, Romance, Favorite Book Covers

My Verdict ♥ ♥

Every time I watch a chick flick that is based on a book I think to myself, when will they stop ruining perfectly good books and giving us such emotional cliched plots? Reading this book, I felt like I was watching a chick flick. 


It was a trifle disappointing to find that out, it wasn't a bad book though. Not at all, I just didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I found the plot redundant and Cate didn't really shine out as a strong character to me or someone I'd actually care about. Both Cate and Paul. 


There were some great characters in the book however. Jill for one, that girl was something. I was always eager to read whatever Jill did/said/looked/reacted. Ethan was another, who can't help but love such a goodhearted, caring guy? There were some interesting scenes in the book, Beth's wedding for one, I found Leslie's emails amusing and also all the dress fittings and ugly garments she imposed on her bridesmaid. The horrors! I was actually thanking the Lord that things are different in my country. The bridesmaid here are free to chose their own dresses. 


Coming back to Cate. I don't know what was up with that girl seriously. The opening scenes had me intrigued [when we got to see a bitchy side in Cate as she locked the drunken ex boyfriend in the restrooms] and then she comes back to let him out, guilt ridden and feeling for him. She presented an interesting character but soon gave way to the dull Cate who had problems with Paul that we had to tolerate throughout the rest of the book. 


Don't even get me started on Paul. The book tried telling me He was handsome, he was smart. He was caring when he wanted to be. He was interesting and definitely marriage material.... I didn't feel that AT ALL. Paul was definitely the most boring, dull, shallow guy ever. I feel sorry for him actually. The author really didn't like him I suppose. Well, neither did I.


The book was very predictable but then I suppose it's because I've watched way too many chick flicks to know how the plot usually goes about. It's either your best friend, long lost child hood friend, your next door neighbor, any other person who's invisible to you before you break up with the jerk of a guy you thought cared for you. Pretty simple. I have to admit I skipped a lot of pages and towards the end I just wanted to finish the book. 

I'd give it 2 hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment