Thursday, 27 October 2011

Book review: Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy # 1 ) by Richelle Mead
Bookshelves: Vampires, Fantasy, Adventure, Romance, Young Adult


Synopsis
St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger. . . . 


My Verdict
I've heard a lot about this series and I wasn't sure what to expect. I was a bit disappointed but not because of the story. I thought the story was very interesting but the writing was weak. I just don't like the 1st person perspective and in this case, the story is told through Rose's eyes. I dislike these kind of stories because it doesn't give as much depth to the characters as would a non narrated version. Then, we can focus on each and every character, and their very own thoughts and not Rose guessing whatever she wanted [even though she might be correct most times] And most importantly, I'd have loved to read what other people thought of Rose. We got none of those things in this book. The only other person's thoughts we had access to were Lissa's, every time Rose went into her head. 


Also, it was confusing. I'd read a good amount of portion and there still was no description or explanation as to what strigoi were and why they did what they did. It came so much later. 


I disliked Rose a lot in this book [I hope he get's better as the story progresses] She was juvenile, unreasonable, out of control, and a bitch to boot, also kind of smug and arrogant with all the I'm very pretty I know bit. Ever heard of humbleness, Rose? I guess I liked very few characters in this book. I didn't like Lisa initially either, I mean I loved the bond Rose and Lisa shared. Kind of reminds me of my own sister but I hated the fact that Lisa was so helpless and weak. 


I don't know what to say about Dimitri - He's an awesome character but again, no depth because all I got was Rose's awful, awful description. Every other guy was either cute or hot. That's how she described them. Or she'd just say, he had brown eyes and brown hair and he was so hot. You've got to give us a few more words than that missy. Christian had the same problem. Any person who wasn't too expressive or actively vocal like our foul mouthed Rose here, I felt no connection with them. The others I could hate [Mia] or like [Mason, typical flirt not to be taken serious guy] but it didn't really matter because they were secondary characters. 


This problem was quite a damper. I usually love my characters and this book had a lot of characters I'd normally love. But because there was just do little to them, I never felt a connection. 


Dimitri and Rose felt forced and Dimitri sounded awfully boring. I do like boring guys but yes I want to read more about whatever boring stuff they do and think. I just want more description. Period. Don't just stop by telling me what kind of jacket he wears, create the whole personality. 


I could've done with a few less dorm scenes, Mia's annoying bitching, Rose's outbursts of temper and all that. But I guess all these things kind of made it an enjoyable read and balanced out the seriousness of the book. 


Victor was a prime suspect from the beginning. He was just so weird so no surprise when he did what he did. But I do believe that Richelle Mead worked a lot to create that special bond these two girls shared and it was wonderful indeed. I loved every bit of it, no matter how annoying or insufferable Rose was or how I felt towards Lisa being weak and what not I couldn't help but feel wonder for the kind of emotions they shared. Those were expertly created and felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment