Thursday, 27 October 2011

My Verdict ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥


Frostbite [Vampire Academy #2] by Richelle Mead
Bookshelves: Paranormal, Vampires, Young Adult

Synopsis
Rose loves Dimitri, Dimitri might love Tasha, and Mason would die to be with Rose…


It's winter break at St. Vladimir's, but Rose is feeling anything but festive. A massive Strigoi attack has put the school on high alert, and now the Academy's crawling with Guardians—including Rose's hard-hitting mother, Janine Hathaway. And if hand-to-hand combat with her mom wasn't bad enough, Rose's tutor Dimitri has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason's got a huge crush on her, and Rose keeps getting stuck in Lissa's head while she's making out with her boyfriend, Christian! The Strigoi are closing in, and the Academy's not taking any risks… This year, St. Vlad's annual holiday ski trip is mandatory.


But the glittering winter landscape and the posh Idaho resort only create the illusion of safety. When three friends run away in an offensive move against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them. But heroism rarely comes without a price…


My Verdict
This was a definite improvement, both in terms of writing and story. Somehow, Rose becomes a lot more bearable [I guess being around Dimitri helped] and what's more she's given a chance to Mason [who's pretty crazy about her at this point] but inside, she still can't help the cloud of warmth that envelopes every time she's around Dimitri. She's also met her mom [someone she has special hatred for in large quantities] and somehow managed to find a bit of a connection. This will only lead to Rose being better in the long run. God knows she needs all the help she can get and a years worth of behavioral therapy. 


Back to Dimitri and Rose. Despite their mutual likeness for each other they have decided to part ways because they can not be together for a couple of reasons. 


1. Dimitri is too old for Rose [Poor guy is ONLY 24! I see young girls complaining he's so old in the same tone they'd discuss their fathers. Please girls, show some mercy, I'm almost 24 and I don't want to be old] 
2. They both will be future guardians to Prince Lisa [having a relationship will only distract them both, quite altruistic of them to put Lisa's interests first] 


And the most important! 


3. There are 4 more books to write - which makes me immensely happy, I can wait a couple of more books..unless someone far more interesting comes along the way.


This book didn't consist much description either but I guess I stopped caring and decided to do my own describing. We see lots of new characters here and there, one's Christian's not-so-old Aunt Tasha Ozera who's very good friends with Dimitri and probably has the hots for him too. Most definitely so. 


In Rose's eyes, they're just 'I do' away from getting married or something. Really, teens - it's such a dramatic period in your life. Anyways, finally I get to read about Adrian - a character talked about often whenever there's a VA discussion. This guy is, wait...let me put out a list:


Mysterious 
Green Eyed 
Carrying some heavy baggage with all the drinking and smoking 
Notorious 
Royal 
Good looking in Rose's eyes. [Still no descriptions] 
Spirit user 
Rich 
Knows how to spoil a girl 
Thoughtful


So check all those and we have my favorite character :D Plus, he's just so lovable. Mason and Rose felt fake and phony, more so than Dimitri and Rose and this guy...was so interesting. I could feel Rose might end up with him after all. I liked Adrian a lot, not only because of all the above mentioned traits but because he wasn't like the other royals. There was not a single pompous or mean bone in this guy's body. He was just so wonderful and so misunderstood. A gem about to be discovered. I just hope someone has the good sense to see for what he's worth! 


Anyways, through out the book my emotions were pretty much as wretched as Rose's. She didn't love the guys who were willing to love her and she couldn't forget about the one who wasn't. Ah, love is cruel but the last twist had me forgetting everything. I just wanted everyone to survive and Oh my God. 


I couldn't believe Mason died. The horrors!! By the time the ordeal was over, I had tears clogging my throat. What a mess! It's always the nice guys who get hurt and die in the process. Rose's reaction to Mason's dying was even more heart breaking. But I was so glad I could quickly went on to next book. 

4 comments:

  1. Nice review! VA by Richelle Mead is one of my favorite series! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot. I think this book really opened my eyes. Book 1 was more like a typical HS setting and I assumed a very cliched plot and story where all the friends always stick together and no one gets hurt. The good wins and the bad is thwarted. Which one is your favorite out of the 6? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate Rose, stopped readin halfway :@

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Anonymous - I hated Rose in the first book too, probably in the 2nd as well but she kind of grew on me afterwards. I specially liked her in Shadow Kiss.

    ReplyDelete